Sunday, November 18, 2012

Songs and grammar

You will find some of the songs I've used to teach grammar structures.

1. If I had a Million Dollars

 This is an ideal song to teach the conditional clause - type 2.

Eg: If I had a million dollars, I would buy you a house.





 

 Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MdRNAOHrTDI#!

Lyrics
 

If I had a Million Dollars- by Barenaked Ladies


If I had a million dollars (If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a house (I would buy you a house)
If I had a million dollars (If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you furniture for your house
(Maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
And if I had a million dollars (If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a K-Car
(A nice Reliant automobile)
If I had a million dollars I'd buy your love

If I had a million dollars
I'd build a tree fort in our yard
If I had million dollars
You could help, it wouldn't be that hard
If I had million dollars
Maybe we could put like a little tiny fridge in there somewhere
You know, we could just go up there and hang out
Like open the fridge and stuff
There would already be laid out foods for us
Like little pre-wrapped sausages and things



Lesson Plan


Grammar focus – Conditionals Type 2 
Level :  Intermediate
Duration :   45 minutes
Materials: cassette player, handouts of the song, Over head projector or white/ chalk board
Procedure:
1. Do a quick brainstorm of conditional clauses in general.
2. Give out the handouts of the song to all.
3. Play the song and get the students to sing along with the singer.
4. Discuss the grammar structure as follows:

Different forms can be used to convey the same idea. Think of three other model auxiliary verbs you can use instead of 'would' in the following sentence.

If I had a million dollars, I would buy you a house.

                                           could
                                           might
                                           should
5. Engage the students in the activity given below.
Chain story : The first student begins a sentence using conditionals type 1. The second student develops the idea of the first student by taking the verb of the main clause, and transforming it to the (simple past) verb of 'if clause' in his/ her original sentence. This process continues and everybody makes sure the outcome is a story.
If the man played well, his team would win the game. 
If the team won the game, they could become famous.
If they became famous, ……………………………………
6. Wrap up.


No comments: